Six people were killed in the latest earthquake to strike the border region of Turkey and Syria, authorities said on Tuesday, two weeks after a massive tremor killed more than 47,000 people and damaged or destroyed hundreds of thousands of homes.
Monday’s quake of magnitude 6.4 was centered near the Turkish city of Antakya and was felt in Syria, Egypt, and Lebanon.
It was followed by 90 aftershocks, Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said, even as rescue work from the initial tremors on February 6 has been winding down.
“I thought the earth was going to split open under my feet,” said Muna Al Omar, holding her seven-year-old son. She now lives in a tent in a park in Antakya after the February 6 quake, with a magnitude of 7.8, forced her out of her home.
Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said 294 people had been injured in the latest quake, adding that patients were evacuated from some health facilities that had remained in operation after the first quakes as buildings cracked.