Haldwani violence: Civil Court orders to confiscate property of nine miscreants

118
0

The Haldwani Civil Court has issued orders to confiscate the property of nine miscreants, including Abdul Malik and his son, the alleged mastermind of the violence that broke out in Banbhoolpura town of Haldwani area following the demolition of an allegedly illegal structure as part of an anti-encroachment drive on February 8.

The court has permitted the police to take action against all the accused under sections 82 and 83 of CrPC.

Earlier on Tuesday, the civil court issued non-bailable warrants against all nine accused.

The latest development came days after the Municipal Corporation here issued a recovery notice of Rs 2.44 crore against Abdul Malik, a key accused in the violence at Haldwani, asking him to deposit the money to cover damage caused to government property during the clash. 

Meanwhile, Kumaon Commissioner Deepak Rawat on Wednesday initiated a magisterial inquiry into the violence.

Five people were killed and dozens more injured after clashes, as per police.

Following the violence, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami had said that there is no room for ‘miscreants’ in the state.

On Tuesday, a new police chowki was inaugurated by women police officials, including those who were injured during Haldwani violence on the land freed during the anti-encroachment drive. The site known as Malik Ka Bagicha, where the violence erupted, has now been renamed by authorities, and a police chowki has been set up.

It came a day after the Chief Minister announced that a police station would be constructed at the place from which the illegal encroachment was removed.

Earlier, Uttarakhand Director General of Police Abhinav Kumar stressed that the recent violent clashes were not communal.

As many as 30 people have been arrested in connection with the violence in the Haldwani. The clashes and violence left five people dead and dozens injured.

Several countrymade weapons and live rounds were recovered from those arrested, police said.

The state government has asked the Centre for four additional companies of paramilitary forces to be deployed in the district.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here